Tuesday, June 22, 1993

Day 24: Summer Solstice

Citadel with field KK in foreground,

It was hot. Too darn hot!  Before second breakfast, it was hotter than usual with no wind, so the bugs were unbearable. After second breakfast, it was hotter, and the wind picked up from the east, so we had a sand blasting all day. I got sand in my eyelashes, up my nose, on my teeth, and in my ears. It was awful.  At 11:00Am, we had a tour of the Mithraeum.  It was VERY cool! {But I forgot my camera, so the photo here is more random dig shots.  The cool thing is that at noon on the Summer Solstice, the sun came through the roof and shone on the altar. Only it didn't quite do that, because of the subtle shifting of earth's orbit, it was about 2 ft off center.}

Immediately following lunch, I jumped in the ocean to cook and wash off.  After sufficiently soaking, I did laundry (about half of it).


I went to Jeff Blakely’s preview of the southern tour after dinner and decided that I must be absolutely certifiable. Afterwards I went to the club to partake of some of Lyon and Angus’s salsa and chips. Bed at 11:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment